The Benefits of Oil Pulling
Posted by Rima on Nov 24th 2022
Oil pulling is an age-old practice that has many amazing health benefits. It is said to improve oral health, reduce inflammation, and help with weight loss, among other things. In this blog post, we will discuss the six main benefits of oil pulling and give you instructions on how to do it yourself!
1. Oral Health: Oil pulling has been known to help reduce bacteria and plaque in the mouth, which can lead to better overall oral health. It is believed that swishing the oil around your mouth for up to 20 minutes can remove toxins from your teeth, gums, and cheeks. This helps fight bad breath, cavities, and gum disease.
2. Inflammation: Regular oil pulling can reduce inflammation and swell in the mouth, which can help with conditions like gingivitis and periodontal disease. It is believed that the anti-inflammatory properties of certain oils (such as coconut, sesame, or sunflower) can help alleviate any pain or discomfort.
3. Weight Loss: Studies have indicated that oil pulling may help with weight loss. The theory is that the act of swishing the oil for so long helps break down fat cells in your body, which leads to better digestion and less calorie consumption throughout the day.
4. Detoxification: Oil pulling aids in the detoxification of the body by helping to flush out toxins and impurities. The act of swishing the oil helps to stimulate saliva production, which boosts your immune system and allows your body to absorb nutrients better.
5. Skin Health: Oil pulling improves skin health due to its anti-bacterial properties. This can help reduce acne, eczema, and other skin conditions.
6. Stress Relief: Swishing oil around your mouth for up to 20 minutes is said to be a form of meditation that can help reduce stress levels. This calming practice helps clear the mind and promotes relaxation.
To do oil pulling effectively, you should:
- Start with 1 tablespoon of olive or coconut oil in your mouth and swish it around for 5-20 minutes
- Spit the oil into the trash bag (not the sink or toilet) when you’re done
- Rinse your mouth with warm water
- Repeat this process every morning on an empty stomach
Oil pulling has been practiced for centuries, and the health benefits are undeniable. Whether you’re looking to improve your oral health, reduce inflammation, promote weight loss, detoxify your body, or just relax, oil pulling is an amazing practice that can help! Give it a try and experience the benefits for yourself.